Charter Documents (including Articles, Covenants and Bylaws)
Note: Some of the charter documents contained on this website are electronic reproductions of originals on file with various government agencies and/or at the Association’s management office. During the course of this conversion, occasional typographical errors can sometimes occur. In the event of any discrepancy between these transcriptions and the originals, the originals of course prevail. While the various signatures and governmental seals on the originals are not reproduced in these transcriptions, hard photocopies that do contain signatures and seals can be viewed at the Association’s management office.
»Articles of Incorporation (filed September 2002) (Download PDF) superseding the original (filed May 1960 and amended December 1980)
»Amended Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, Restrictions, and Reservations (filed May 2022) ( »Download PDF) (February 2004 Amended Declaration) ( »Download PDF )
»Bylaws of Kissing Camels Property Owners Association (amended and revised April 2023) ( »Download PDF ) (amended and revised July 2016) ( »Download PDF ) superseding the original (filed September 2002)
»Annual Disclosure ( »Download PDF )
KCPOA Governance Structure Description
Overview: Kissing Camels Property Owners Association (“KCPOA”), Garden of the Gods Club & Resort (the “Club”), and several sub-associations have varying governance responsibilities in Kissing Camels Estates.
Beginning in 1960, Kissing Camels Estates was developed sub-division-by-sub-division around the Golf Course owned by the Club. A subdivision was platted to build individual homes, covenants were adopted for that subdivision, and KCPOA was named as the property owners association to enforce those covenants.
New types of development were initiated in the period 1979-1981. Two sub-associations, Camels Ridge and The Park, were created with their own covenants to provide services to their homeowners. About the same time, the Townhomes project was created. The Townhomes later were reorganized as a condominium project.
In 2004, KCPOA adopted new covenants (referred to as the “Master Declaration”). The Master Declaration was adopted by all homeowners living outside of sub-associations in lieu of the original covenants applicable to them. The Master Declaration was not adopted by all of the sub-associations.
Both types of development continue to the present. Homes are being built on lots outside of HOAs, and new sub-associations are being formed.
Kissing Camels Property Owners Association (“KCPOA”): KCPOA has two distinctly different responsibilities. KCPOA is a master association providing services to all residents in the community, and it also is a homeowners association providing services to residents who do not live in a sub-association. Acting as a Master Association, KCPOA provides security for Kissing Camels Estates, maintains all roads (including snow removal), and approves new developments. KCPOA also maintains landscaping in several common areas including the three gate areas and the medians on Hill Circle and Kissing Camels Drive. In its capacity as a HOA, KCPOA enforces covenants and ACC Guidelines for residents living outside of a sub-association and for sub-associations subject to the Master Declaration.
The Garden of the Gods Resort and Club (the “Club”): The Club has a strong presence in Kissing Camels Estates. It owns and operates the Kissing Camels Club, the Golf Course, and the Recreation Center, including the indoor tennis courts, for the benefit of its members. Many members of the Club do not live in Kissing Camels Estates.
Sub-associations: Sub-associations are created to provide services to their homeowners that KCPOA does not provide. Those services may include turf maintenance, common area landscaping, property insurance, street lights, snow removal from driveways, and house painting. The HOAs’ Board of Directors govern the sub-associations pursuant to their own covenants. The Townhomes condominium project similarly is governed by its board of directors.
The sub-associations are:
- Camels Ridge: Camels Ridge is built out; it is comprised of 92 Units on the east side of Kissing Camels Estates. Camels Ridge has not adopted the Master Declaration but its homeowners are members of KCPOA and pay its assessments.
- The Park: The Park is built out; it is comprised of 73 units on the east side of Kissing Camels Estates. The Park did not adopt the Master Declaration, but its homeowners are members of KCPOA and pay its assessments.
- Courtyard: This sub-association is built out; it is located on the southwest side of Kissing Camels Estates and has 32 Units. It did not adopt the Master Declaration, but its homeowners are members of KCPOA and pay its assessments.
- The Greens: The Greens, located on the north side of Kissing Camels Estates, has __ Units and four undeveloped lots. The Greens is subject to the Master Declaration and its members pay KCPOA assessments.
- The Retreat: Located on the south side of Kissing Camels Estates, the Retreat has 15 Units in existence or under construction and one undeveloped lot. The Retreat is subject to the Master Declaration and its members pay KCPOA’s assessments.
- Signature Point: Signature Point, 17 Units located on the west side of Kissing Camels Estates, is part of a sub-association that includes Cathedral Ridge, a development on the west side of Mesa Road. Homeowners in Signature Point also are subject to the Master Declaration and pay KCPOA’s assessments.
- Townhomes: The Townhomes Condominiums are comprised of 49 apartments east of the Kissing Camels Club. In lieu of KCPOA’s assessment, the Townhomes’ obligation to KCPOA per unit is determined pursuant to the decision in a court case between the parties. Other than a few condo owners who have elected to pay KCPOA’s assessments, the condo owners do not receive all of the privileges of KCPOA membership, including access to the North or East Gates.